District Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
The Contra Costa Mosquito & Vector Control District is dedicated to the health and welfare of the county's more than 1 million residents covering 716 square miles. In fact, we've been protecting public health since 1927 when residents formed the District.
The District provides services and programs to all Contra Costa County residents at no additional charge (we are funded by property and benefit assessment taxes) that are specific to:
Mosquitoes: Inspection and assistance.
Mosquitofish: Upon request. For backyard pools and ponds - inspection and assistance.
Rats and Mice: Inspection and advice.
Skunks: Inspection and assistance.
Ground-Nesting Yellowjackets: Ground nest treatment (ground-nesting species only).
Bees: Identification and education.
Ticks: Identification: Resident must provide a sample (mail to the District or bring in-person) of the tick for proper identification.
Biting/Stinging Insect ID: Resident must provide a sample (mail or bring in-person) of the insect for proper identification.
Our trained and certified employees work daily to reduce the risk of diseases spread by insects and animals by controlling them in a responsible, environmentally conscious manner. It's all part of our Integrated Vector Management (IVM) program where we use the most efficient and effective state-of-the-art protocols and products. All products are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Public Health – we use Integrated Vector Management (IVM) as our core approach to reducing risk to the community.
- Environmental Stewardship – we use materials and methods that meet or exceed all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Science & Technology – we work diligently with the scientific community to ensure that our methods are scientifically sound and to advance the state of the art of our discipline.
- Public Education – we educate and help our residents understand the role they play in assisting us in reducing the risk from vectors of disease.
- Safety – we are committed to the safety of employees and the public through ongoing attention to facilities, equipment and training.
- Management Effectiveness – we use management systems, protocols and methods that allow us to fulfill our mission in an efficient, transparent and fiscally responsible manner.
- Teamwork & Collaboration – we believe that a productive work environment requires teamwork, active collaboration and clear and open communication within and across all entities to develop the future.
Learn more about the history of our District:District History in Detail
The Contra Costa Mosquito & Vector Control District is a public health agency dedicated to protecting the community from mosquitoes and other vectors of disease.
The District is governed by a Board of Trustees, each representing one of the incorporated cities in Contra Costa County or the county at large. Each trustee is appointed by a city council or by the county supervisors.
The District is an independent agency - NOT a county entity.
• Formed by local residents to provide local services
• Sanctioned by the State of California Government Codes
• Entities that can be the most economical means of providing public service
• Independent, self-governed agencies governed by a board of trustees
• Operated as non-profit organizations
• Responsible directly to the people
• Accountable – Accessible – Efficient